Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Day six : Time Management

This afternoon I went to meet my Academic Advisor for assessment. During our conversation, he asked me whether I have prepared for the final exam. Suddenly I realized that I have not prepared for the final exam. In fact, all I know right now is to do my assignment and busy with other commitment. This is when I started to get worried and my Academic Advisor gives me some advice by saying that I need to sort all my activity and put prioritize on my study. This really makes me realize that I have a problem, which I have to solve as soon as possible.

Problem-Solving Model

Stage 1 : define the problem

I started to realize that I have neglect about my study (revision, doing tutorial) because I am more focus to do my assignment and other commitment. A question from my Academic Advisor really makes me think that final exam is just around the corner and yet I still did not do anything to prepare for the final. The main problem is I have trouble to manage my time on study, assignment and other commitment.


Problem statement: in this case, the problem is that I should start managing my time more effective to prepare for my final exam. However, the reality is I did not manage my time effectively and this makes me neglecting my study.


Stage 2 : Analyze the problem

Answering some of the question from Kepner-Tregoe:

How big is the problem?

For this problem is very big since it is about my study and it will effect my CGPA if I do not perform well during the final exam.

What event cause this problem?

My bad time management really make me to not doing revision since I ‘m more focus on assignments and commitment to other activity I have joined.

How long has it existed?

This problem already existed since the middle of this trimester where I started to ignore on my study (did not do revision, tutorial, etc). However, I only realized about this situation today and it really make me worried.


Stage 3 : Identify possible solution

Solution 1-focus only on study

Solution 2-make timetable to manage my time more effective

Solution 3-just go with the flow


Stage 4 : Decide on the appropriate alternative

Solution 1-focus only on study (2:2)

Advantage: make me well prepare for final, do not have to think about other commitment.

Disadvantage: people will say I am not committed with my commitment of the program I have joined, might get bored if only focus on study all the time.

Solution 2-make timetable to manage my time more effective (2:1)

Advantage: still can join other activity, still can focus on my study.

Disadvantage : must follow the timetable

Solution 3-just go with the flow (1:2)

Advantage: I can decide when I should study anytime I want

Disadvantage: time management is still bad (problem is still not solve), might make me not prepare for final exam.


After doing my analyzing, I decided to chose solution 2 as my solution because I still can concentrate on my study and other activity if I have prepare timetable for my study and as long as I follow the timetable.

No comments: